Friday 2 March 2012

POSTCARD MAKING GOT ME THROUGH

When Rebecca had to go into Hospital for her op, albeit for the day, I was not allowed to go so spent the day worrying and whittling, texting Annette that many times I am sure she got fed up with me...anyway I just had to do something or I would have gone mad, so I prepped up 24 Postcards, getting all of them to different stages, I have since finished all 24 and here they are to show you my love of trees and leaves. Enjoy...
Ginkgo leaves - thread painted...
Trees - thread painted - 
my friend Di said for me to try a different edging to my Postcards, so I pulled out some fancy wools and tried - hmm I am afraid I shall stick to my satin stitch edging, I didn't like this, but then I don't really like the stupid tree on this one either...
these were done with my thread scraps I save them all in various boxes and then when the mood takes me I tip a pile of them onto a piece of fabric and top stitch them down-
these were mostly sparkly thread bits...
Star tree...
one on the left is embellished with a bracelet I broke up for the shell type bits -
one on the right is done with those little bunches of flowers you can buy, I just split them up to stretch them further...
I had some very pretty beads which matched the thread perfectly...
 
same thread as above card but no beads this time... 
got carried away with the 'blossom' on this tree... BUT
I liked the effect so much I did bushes with same thread as the base of these two,
used a different thread for the 'blossom' on the trees...
just love this thread...
sparkle thread which Caz sent me to try, thanks Caz...
some of my gorgeous batik fabric as background gave the effect
of a sunset on these two...
no beads but I love it never the less...
use your imagination -
the tree is off to the side, the branches have 'grown into' this postcard,
I like it...
remember those Bat beads I didn't know who sent me - [it was Rosemary]
here are some of them resting in my tree at night...
***************************************
We had a theme from Jytte for our PP Postcard swap for February, it was to use Valentine but with a twist, Climate Change and Leap Year , one or all of them on the postcard..I chose to use all, can you work it out?
Climate change is the heat of the sun getting hotter and hotter, drying the earth making the trees die, yet one survives...
Leap Year is carved on the tree in the hearts which brings in the Valentine part too,
thing is....did the carving or the sun kill the tree...which ever it turned to logs in the end.
living tree...
dead tree...
Now that postcard should have gone to Marian, but I had a senior moment and sent it to Tessa..Oops!!
so I had to make another one,
slight changes but all the themes are still there, same reasons, and luckily I remembered to send this one to Marian...
dead tree...
carvings and the logs...
*******************************************
Lots of fluffy strings which I had making on my sewing machine last night, I have to admit I got carried away a bit, I now have loads of them, they are so pretty,
but what ?? are they for???
***********************************************
New threads arrived, a box of blues...
and a box of greens...
as I am not a rich person I use these threads for my thread painting, they work fine for me, I know you are supposed to use posh silk threads, but hey, I like to do my own thing, as most of you know by now, these work, so....
Bring on the thread painting police I say........
**************************************
I hope you enjoyed looking at the result of my day of worry, my machine got hot hot hot that day.

7 comments:

Gill said...

Best wishes to Rebecca!
I'm glad to see you kept your hands busy while you were waiting!!

Diane-crewe said...

now that is truely channeled energy!! Trying something new is to show us what we DONOT like, just as much as what we DO like xx

QuiltandPatch said...

You have been busy,just wonder what you were like the day Annette gave birth?????

Searchfamilies said...

What a lovely lot of cards well done
Hugs Janice

Caz said...

I really like the postcard with the tree off to the side,, but they are all brilliant!! I even like the one you called 'stupid'!!

Kerstin said...

wow, you been busy. Would have taking me ages to do half.
they all look great.

Maggi said...

Great postcards Jan. I'm with you, I don't like the fluffy edges. Love the threads - who cares what you are 'supposed' to use, just go with what suits you and works well for you.