Wednesday 14 April 2010

PAINTS AND DYES AND A HEATGUN

BOOK CLASS
I had some fun painting and using dyes again today. I started my course I am doing with Myfanwy, which is to make Little Books, the link is here,   http://www.myfanwyhart.co.uk/online-workshops
you have until the end of the week to sign up, I should if I were you, it is great fun. Without giving too much away, we had to paint some paper, I didn't want to go outside -cos of the stink from next door- but the sun was out and a fabulous day. So, I set myself up in the Sunroom, almost outside so to speak. Doesn't this look good? I put a little table on the top of the big table and put my instructions on it, so I didn't have to keep bending and it wouldn't get messed up with the paints and dyes. Clever eh! You can see I remembered the rubber gloves this time too!
Here are the papers I 'dyed' they are very wet I can tell you, I am not allowed to do anything to them until tomorrow, I just hope they will seperate, if not I will have to start all over again darn it...
***********************************************************
PAINTING LACE
After doing those papers I was really in the mood to do more painting !!!! So I went and chopped up a batch of lace and found my fabric paints, then set to. No rhyme or reason to the colours, I just slapped it on. I hope it all dries properly and doesn't leave a sticky 'goo'. I have plans for these pieces of lace, well some of them I do. The rest will be there if ever I need it, as and when so to speak...

There are two lots of pictures cos I couldn't fit it all onto one without being so far away from the lace, there are pieces of fabric here as well as I placed the lace on a piece of fabric then painted it, so I end up with a piece of prettily painted fabric as a bonus...
************************************************
POSTCARDS
These Postcards are my second attempt at using the Heatgun. I am very pleased with these, the top one has four of those skeleton leaves under a piece of voile, they are actually all a different colour although it doesn't show much now, I quilted the shell pattern round the outside of them, then zapped just the leaves with the Heatgun, luckily it stayed where I wanted it, amazing!!! I decided to sew a clump of pretty elongated beads to the base of the leaves as I felt it looked a bit odd in that area...
The one underneath this was me having a bit of fun, I just free machine stitched some circle [ish] shapes all over a postcard base made up of several layers of voiles and fabrics, to emphasise the shapes I then free machined zigzags in the spaces round the circles. Then it was zapped, just the circles again. Getting good at aiming the thing. I was going to leave it at that, but as I was doing the beading for the one above, I thought, oh heck, let's put some beads on this one as well, so I tipped a mix of red beads out and just stitched then in the circles as I picked them up, I wasn't picky about the beads, just whatever I picked up was stitched in the circle. I like this one very much, I think I will try other shapes, same principle...
The following two have to be my favourites so far. Both were done as before, layers of fabric and voiles, and I think there is even some lace under one of them, scraps of anything basically, voile on the top of the lot then free machining all over, no design just willy-nilly stitching because I knew I would zap them. Well, after zapping them I liked them a lot, but again, as I had my beads out, I thought, in for a penny and all that. The top one is beaded, the bottom one is done with sequins and beads. Glutton for punishment. But I hope you agree with me they are worth it. Nothing like blowing your own trumpet is there? haha
I am so pleased with my purchase of the Heatgun. Who would have thought it?
********************************
This evening I finished 9+ Postcards, I was definitely on a roll today folks, got the camera out to take pictures and wouldn't you know. Battery flat. Ho hum. Tomorrow you will see those.

6 comments:

Jo Hopwood said...

I have got to dig out my heatgun! These are all LOVELY!

Anonymous said...

Great Jan and the painted lace looks lovely. You should see my instruction, like the rest of the worktop they are covered in dyes/inks/paints. Must go out there and clean up at some stage today!

Angela said...

Absolutely brilliant Jan :o))) Dare I say "I told you so" ;o) x

Reflections of life and art said...

WOW you are going to town on your new adventures...love them all...your PC's are lovely as always...what exactly are you doing with the heat gun and fabric...are you melting organza with it?

Di said...

Brilliant. Where will your journey end I wonder?

Net's Place said...

I've got lots of paper you can paint!!!!!! Hehehehehe!!