Wednesday 18 March 2009

9th/12th ROYAL LANCERS (Prince of Wales)

It's not very often I have anything good to say of Northampton as you probably know. But today, I was Proud of Northampton and its Residents. They turned out in their thousands to stand and cheer the Lancers.
They were exercising their right to march through Northampton today. I was so pleased Di rang and told me about this, I don't have the local newspaper, so didn't know it was happening. At 12 noon they started to march from the Market Square, right through the centre of town and as I said, the turn out for them was really great. Lots of cheering and clapping, flag waving etc. I had taken my little digital camera with me and hope you agree that I managed to get some really good shots of the lads. They are very colourful as you will see.
We stood at a corner at the top of the main street so we had a really good view of them. It was a shock to see how young a lot of these lads are. They go into the army as boys and return as Men. These lads had just returned from Afghanistan and Iraq.
Whatever you may think of the state of affairs in the troops being sent to these places, it is NOT their fault, they are only doing their job after all. Some don't make it back at all of course, and some return badly injured and have to go to Headley Court for various reasons.
My friend Di has found that Quilts are being made for the injured, which is quite a funny story actually. If you go to Di's Blog.... Stop by with Di you will be able to read the story of how she found out about the Quilts.
I think this is a really good idea of hers, so I shall certainly be making a Quilt or three for the lads. They deserve them, it is the least I can do for them. If you would like to join us, please please do.
Anyway, now the photos, I hope you enjoy looking at them. It was a great hour pleasantly passed, cheering them on.

Even the pigeon wanted to see them...



Yep, look sharp, they are on their way...


How smart is this...


left right left right...



Sharp...



In step...



So young...



and now the Band, who also do the first aid of course...



and still they march...



so many of them..



so young...



these came round the corner and it looked as though they were aimed
straight at me, I know I jumped and he laughed...



cheeky monkey...



going along St. Giles Street, towards the Town Hall...



Back at the Market Square, I wonder if that lad was
considering joining up?



So you can see the crowds...



really good peaceful turn out...



At ease...


I hope you have enjoyed viewing these pictures as much as I enjoyed being right there amongst them. Made me proud as I said, of Northampton and for once...to be British. Well done lads.
****************************

4 comments:

Di said...

Me to Jan. Very proud.

Anonymous said...

Wow ,,that was super,
Very proud.

Super idea for the quilts,

Joan

Reflections of life and art said...

Jan, all I needed was sound and I would have felt like I was right there....how exciting to be able to see all this.....great pics btw!
Thanks for sharing!!

Hugs,
Noel

jan said...

Oh, silly me I should have recorded the Band. Too late now. I shall try to remember in future, cos I think I can do that. :-)

Town has gone back to its normal boring self....what a shame.