Thursday 8 October 2009

WHAT IS IT?

I have been asked, 'what is candlewicking'. Well, a short answer to this is.....a form of embroidery using french knots to make the design, with added embroidery to complete the pattern.
I was shown how to do this - many many - years ago by a then friend. She had made a stunning Candlewicked Quilt in peach and cream. I coveted that quilt and she said I could make my own. True I thought, Yes I can. HAH! After doing this one block I had had enough I can tell you, it takes forever to do, well it did me! Too slow for this biddy.
Up until I saw her quilt I had only known candlewicking in bedspreads and dressing gowns, they would be considered very naff these days, although they may be known as shabby chic I guess. I had a blue bedspread in c when I first got married, plus a pink C housecoat. I thought I was the bees knees I can tell you. Don't laugh.
I also see I have been told how to press it. Ahhh, it is already quilted so it cannot be pressed the way it has been suggested without flattening the wadding! Plus. I don't want to press it, I have done my ironing for today !!! I want [would like]to pass this piece of work onto someone else who would like it and they can press it themselves. hahahahaha So if you fancy it, let me know and you can have it with pleasure.
****************************

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I'll pass on "candlewicking"..........

Vesuviusmama said...

I guess the best way to understand candlewicking would be to see it in person...so if you are truly looking to unload that pretty little project on someone, I would gladly take it off your hands. :)

Searchfamilies said...

I hope you will be bringing it to quilting group as i want to see it please
As for dressing gowns i still think they nice at least they keep you warm i am a warmth over style person lol
Hugs Janice

Maggi said...

French Knots! "Aaargh", cries she, running for the hills.

Di said...

I think I must have several of these in my cupboard. I didn't use French knots, I did the easier Colonial knot (can't even remember how to do that now!!)

Maggie R said...

Hi Jan..
Candlewicking is gorgeous but definitely lots of work and time consuming. I get your point.
I did a pincushion once and then bought a cushion to do. Somewhere in my "Stuff" is that kit!! never did so it!
hahaha
xoxo
((((hugs))))
Maggie