Saturday 10 January 2009

HOSPITAL VISIT

Off I trouped to the hospital about my neck. Ongoing problem. Boring. Painful, but boring. I went with the feeling nothing could be done or was going to be done. :-(

Au contraire... :-!

The lovely Doctor C, had other ideas. Funnily enough he was the Doctor who fixed my back for me, I had to have some nerve endings fused, mm not nice, but they worked. That was 23 years ago. He asked how the back was going along. Fine I was pleased to tell him. :-)

On to the Neck.

He was totally amazed at the lack of movement I have. I had to stand as I couldn't keep turning to see him. He confirmed that I DO have Arthritis, BUT he is determined to get me movement in my neck even if its only a little. Soooooo

I came home with a TENS machine. I am to use this for a month. Then I go back to see how it has been. Next to my Docs to get some Patches, he feels these will be better for me than all the tablets I take for the pain. I am on the highest dosage and take 8 a day, so he is not happy about that. So Patches it will be.



How do TENS machines work?

Transcutaneous means 'through the skin'. TENS machines deliver small electrical pulses to the body via electrodes placed on the skin. TENS machines are thought to affect the way pain signals are sent to the brain. Pain signals reach the brain via nerves and the spinal cord. If pain signals can be blocked then the brain will receive fewer signals from the source of the pain. We may then feel less pain.

TENS machines are thought to work in two ways.

  • When the machine is set on a high pulse rate (90-130 Hz) it triggers the 'pain gate' to close. This is thought to block a pain nerve pathway to the brain. This is the normal method of use.
  • When the machine is set on a low pulse rate (2-5 Hz) it stimulates the body to make its own pain easing chemicals called endorphins. These act a bit like morphine to block pain signals.


If none of this works he wants to give me some injections which he feels will be beneficial to me. But I have to work my way through all this other stuff first.

If he can get me a little movement in my neck I will be over the moon I can tell you. At least I have a name for what is wrong.
Ankylosis.

Sounds like I've lost my hanky!!! Well, you have to grin and bear it don't you! I do!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope the pain goes away for you with the things he has said, cold weather does not help when in pain,
So take care

~ Phyllis ~ said...

So glad that the doctor has suggested pain patches. I've used them and they are wonderful. Hope they work for you. Hope everything works and you have painfree movement.

Angela said...

Oooh Jan, I do feel for you :o( I hope the TENS machine works, it sounds like just what I need when I get a flare up of sciatica.
Take care...Ang x

jan said...

Hi TRACEY
Yep I do too, dont know how long it will take, but if it eases off a bit I will be happy :-)

Hey PHYLLIS
Great to know someone who has used the patches, have to get in touch with my doc next week about them, we shall see, knowing my luck, they will say they are too expensive to prescribe. !!!! :-(

HI ANGELA,
Was funny today, I thought, I will have to turn this thing up I cant feel anything, well it went right the way round the dial, I thought ODD! The battery was flat. hohoho