Tuesday 21 October 2008

MAKING A HANDY NOTEPAD SMART - MY WAY


Notepads, very handy, but don't they look boring like this?
Why not make a cover for them? All of a sudden they look smart, here is how to do it.

I cut the fabric roughly an inch bigger all round than the notepad, I opened it right out, the notepad that is, when I measured, you have to allow for the centre spine thingy.

Fabric for cover, I'm using the right AND wrong side of same fabric, little bit of thin wadding


Little bit of quilting................
Pocket goes here, just fold a rectangle in half and stitch in place; That is the wrong side of the fabric, but I like it.




Make a strip for the top of pad, you will see later why, nothing fancy, no need...



Place the strap just made about third of the way up and stitch ends down...
Place the quilted piece made earlier on top of this pocket piece, right sides together so to speak, Stitch nearly all round, leave gap for turn through, I have to leave a BIG gap, dodgy hands!!!



Stitched round........................showing how I do corners.........turning through........


You have to stitch the gap up...watch out for the machine foot........that's better...see...


Make sure foot is OVER..........Do row of stitching across the middle........DONE!


Opened for you to see...........Sideways, see the pen? A different version.


OK, how quick was that. If you get a load cut out you will soon have zillions made and can give them as prezzies for whenever. Please don't forget to look at the wrong sides of your fabrics, they are a surprise sometimes you know. Saves buying more!! Am I stingy? No. Well yes I guess I am.

If you have a query about it or if it isn't clear enough for you, please ask, I am here, as ever!!!
Mind you I DID do the ironing this morning, he will have pressed shirts tomorrow! hahaha
I constantly have to remind the ladies at my group to ask me, and ask me again, and again, if they aren't sure what to do, so I repeat, do ask me if you get stuck. I haven't gone mad on the instructions cos I think it is quite an easy thing to make just from the pictures. I hope!

When you have made this maybe you will like to pop to your Newsagent and buy the latest copy of Popular Patchwork, because....inside is how to cover a NOTEBOOK, much snazzier than this, a really smart job.

I am now crossing my fingers and my toes in the hope the pictures go on exactly as I have put them...ooer......

2 comments:

Fidget said...

How pretty! Thanks for the tutorial on making covers for notebooks. Sounds like a great way to use up fabric scraps.

jan said...

Hi Fidget,
many thanks for your really kind comment, I appreciate it. I couldnt seem to leave a message on your Blog, I couldn't access the code letters somehow!!! Sorry.
Jan